Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Super Yummy Curry Rice Stir Fry



Years ago I lived by a friend that could turn any ingredients into something that tasted like heaven.  She was an amazing cook, or as I like to call her, a chef. While I was growing up, I ate a lot of homemade meals, but  I didn't experience a lot of diversity in foods unless we got Chinese take-out, which was rare. So, having a palate that was used to american foods I really began to enjoy eating foods from other cultures. This is one of my friends recipes that I fell in love with. It is quick, easy, cheap, and GOOD!

Lori's Curry Rice Stir Fry

3 cups of cooked rice (cook and let cool. I usually cook it in the morning)
3 large Chicken breast cut into strips or cubes
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS yellow Curry (you can adjust this to the level of spiciness you want. I generally put more if my kids aren't going to be eating it, and less if they are.)
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 chopped onion. NOT diced small. You will want bigger chunks.
1/4 - 1/2 Cup raisins, or however much you want
1/4 - 1/2 cup peanuts
1/2 can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 tomato, sliced into chunks
1 package Fresh Basil (remove the stems so you just have the leaves)


1. Cook over medium heat in a skillet the chicken in the olive oil until it is no longer pink on the outside. Add the curry and Chinese 5 spice. Cook until chicken is done.
2. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the raisins and peanuts. Cook for 2-3 more minutes or until the raisins are beginning to plump.
3. Add the rice. Stir all together until the rice is coated with the curry and Chinese 5 spice.
4. Add the pineapple, tomato and basil leaves. Stir together and let cook for 2-3 minutes. Enjoy!


P.S. The curry rice in the picture doesn't have raisins in to because my kids ate them all and I forgot to buy some. It was still good without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment