Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Our New Playroom!!!

So I finally got to create a playroom for my kids. I have wanted one for years but it was never possible to have one. We moved into this house 3 years ago and I knew there was space for one, but between finishing the basement and moving state to state we ran out of funds.

Since we homeschool I knew that a playroom was essential for the younger kids to have a place to use their imagination and just play. I also knew that the older kids needed somewhere to be be able to hang out that is comfy and inviting. A place that they would enjoy being in.

It took me 3 weeks to nearly complete it. I only have a few things left to finish but they aren't essential. Mostly it I need to paint few doors and put up a few pictures and quotes on the walls. I have to apologize that there are no "Before" pictures. I did take some, but I can't find them anywhere! I searched my camera, phone, and the computer and they have completely disappeared. Just use your imagination and envision walls and ceiling that are oatmeal colored, no pictures on the walls, and a giant pile of toys strewn all over the room since we had no where to store them.

So, here are the details of what I did: I started with painting the walls and the ceiling. It took 3 coats of paint to cover the nasty oatmeal color that it was painted. The trim and baseboard got caulked and I made sure it was all secure to the walls. I painted the tree in the corner, and added the IKEA canopy leaves (I found them in a local classifieds for $5 each!).


 My kids asked to be able to put the ABC stickers in the tree  so they could have a cool alphabet tree. The dragon sticker and ABC's sticker I found at Dollar Tree! My mom gave me the ABC cards that are hanging on the wall years ago. They were so cute but I never had a good place to put them. So, I put some eyelet screws in the wall and tied some jute rope to them. I used clothespins to hang them and I am so happy with how it turned out!


 The shelves and the blue bins are from IKEA. I labeled the buckets so the kids know where everything goes.


The big blue bucket holds all the dress up clothes and the clear-ish green bin holds stuffed animals. The bear is from Costco and we have had it awhile. The play kitchen was made for my sister and I by my dad when we were little girls. That is a favorite with my kids.

I painted the chalkboard wall and added a magnetic board for their magnetic toys. They haven't been able to use the chalkboard yet as it hasn't fully cured and isn't ready for chalk. By the end of the week I am sure it will be the new "cool" thing in the playroom!


The gray couch is a giant beanbag/couch thing that they kids LOVE. It is so comfy! The ottomans were on clearance at Sams Club for $14 each!! My little kids love to jump from one to the other and pretend they are pirates on small boats!

I searched for curtains that would match the room and I couldn't find any I liked or that were in my price range. So as I was wandering through Walmart I stumbled across clearance table with sheets that matched the room! For $4 each I bought 4 of them and brought them home, measured them, hemmed them and hung them! This is a close up of the pattern!

I added 2 rugs both from IKEA. My 3 yo is obsessed with the car rug and my 5 yo loves to pretend she is in the forest when she is standing on the other one!


I LOVE the playroom and so do the kids! Any questions? Feel free to ask!


2 comments:

  1. I am in love with your playroom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been too long since I've been to your house! I love what you've done down there!

    ReplyDelete